Friday, February 21, 2014

IE9 fails to install with error 3715

Having a bit of an unexplained error on a client using IE9 (don't ask) prompted me to attempt uninstalling and reinstalling it after all other attempts to diagnose the issue failed. Uninstall worked fine, but upon running the downloaded manual installer I was met with a generic error. I looked at the Microsoft troubleshooting advice which yielded no results, however on attempting to install from Windows Update I at least got an error code: 3715. A few searches yielded Technet articles like this one that mostly linked back to the same troubleshooting info.

On one of such articles I saw some advice related to clearing temporary files which didn't work but led me to start thinking about what else could be on the computer that could prevent the install. When I started IE8 for the first time after uninstalling 9 I got two popups regarding browser toolbars: Bing Bar, and Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer. I decided to try uninstalling these, and sure enough after doing so the manual installer for IE9 worked flawlessly.

I'm not sure if my original problem is solved yet, but hopefully this post can help anyone else searching on this particular error, or other errors related to installing IE9.

No comments:

Post a Comment