Friday, February 14, 2014

High latency for hyper-v 2012 r2 VMs

I had just finished setting up a 5 NIC team to provide 5gbps to my shiny new Windows Server 2012 R2 Core with Hyper-V host when I discovered that the VMs had very high, and unpredictable latency. Not cool! I read a number of blog posts regarding settings of the physical NIC that could be to blame. The most common theme, as explained in this article is a feature called VM Queueing. It seems to be most common Broadcom NICs but also affects Intel. Looks easy enough to change... except in core. Luckily there are a few handy powershell cmdlets to handle this issue in Core. Confused by the exact syntax for Disable-NetAdapterVMQ, I searched google for this cmdlet and found this great blog post on the exact issue. At first I tried just disabling the VMQ on my NIC team multiplex adapter, but still had the issue. Eventually I ended up running ' Disable-NetAdapterVMQ “*” ' to disable the feature on all adapters. My VMs dropped 4 packets, but then came back up with <1ms ping. I gotta tell ya, I <3 <1ms :)

No comments:

Post a Comment