- Make a copy of the original document and rename it to have the .zip extension.
- Extract .zip file and in the contents find word\settings.xml
- Edit settings.xml to remove the XML element beginning with w:documentprotection. Remove everything including < and >
- Copy the word directory to the same location as your document.zip file.
- Rename your file to word.zip
- Right click word directory and choose 7zip -> Add to "word.zip"
- Rename word.zip to yourformname.docx
- Do a little dance and be happy that this episode of your life is now over.
That's all there is to it: easy as pi!