Monday, January 2, 2012

Sanyo 2016 Rehab

Lately my interest in vintage stereo equipment has been waxing (no pun intended). In this vein I recently purchased a Sanyo 2016 receiver from Craigslist. I had been informed by the seller that the volume know was a little scratchy and might need to be cleaned. When I got the unit home and plugged in for testing, however, I found that all of the knobs were in terrible shape. I had crackling, drop outs in one or either channel and overall very poor sound quality. After a bit of research I found this thread which suggests using a product called DeOxit. I purchased the DeOxit at my local Radio Shack and used it as described in the linked thread. I am now proud to say the receiver works as well as I could have ever hoped for. My only regret is not buying the bigger bottles as I have a pair of vintage Pioneer SE30 headphones in need of similar treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment