Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Toll-free ANAC

Have you ever needed to figure out the number of a phone line that you're dialing from? In my IT support work I regularly find myself without the necessary documentation regarding what lines are available where. Or even when I know what lines are in a particular location I may not know specifically which pair of wires corresponds to which number.

Enter ANAC, or automatic number announcement circuit. Generally these are special phone lines which read back the caller's number. The wikipedia article contains a rather extensive list of such numbers but contains no mention of what may be the most popular number at this time. Operated by Sprint, 1-800-444-4444 is toll free, easy to remember, and reliably gets you the information you need in a hurry. Tuck this tip away in your memory banks, it's sure to come in handy eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment